Thursday, October 19, 2006

Wow.
I believe I am officially out of the habit of posting. The only way to remedy I suppose is to jump back in head first...

I live in a little town called Mill Valley, California. It is ten miles north of the Golden Gate Bridge and is best described as a hamlet. We are nestled at the foot of Mount Tamalpais which is home to the stunning Muir Woods. This mountain and these woods stand between us and the big blue expanse of the Pacific. It is magnificent here. I am one lucky, lucky girl.

So, Oktoberfest (nice segue, LeS).
This particular celebration was held several weeks ago. On this mountain. Above these woods.

Every year there is a big throw down at a private and a not-so-secret location called the Tourist Club nestled above Muir Woods. Other than this (and two other celebrations each year) this is a members-only kind of place. If you are not a member (i.e. none of our little crew) then the most you can hope for during the rest of the year is a nice big cold mid-hike stein of beer on their deck. Which is not bad.
At all.

tourist club 'n' sky.

I went for the first time this year with Molly & Willem. Their kids Camille, Annabelle and Julian. And our friend Adam. We purposely parked one hill over so we could do a sweet little hike in/out to add to the fun. When we arrived, there were so many people that we had to wait just to enter only to find wall to wall bodies and no more bratwurst. But leiderhosen, dirndls and live polka music at a Swiss lodge in the mountains of California with fabulous friends? Sign me up.

everybody POLKA.

We eventually tired of the crowd and wandered off to find a rope swing, hang out together and drink just a bit more beer. The weather was stunning. Luminous and warm with a slight gentle breeze from the sea.

top: Mid-swing butt and l to r: Adam, Camille, Julian and Annabelle.

I actually have to admit that the most glorious part of the whole day for me was the hike back. Look...

three trees.

Adam and Willem howling at the view.

self portrait.

california poppies.

sunset.

Yep. I am one lucky, lucky girl.

6 Comments:

Blogger Teri M. said...

Oh my... sounds lovely. And, oh the beautiful pictures.

2:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart Mill Valley and we looked all around there as an option before we moved eventually, to NJ. Your photos are stunning and makes me wish I still lived in the Bay Area, even though it's been 12 years now, sigh.
Funny, I always 'pictured' that you lived in Southern California, down near the OC. (=

6:25 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

I'm not sure where Mill Valley is. I used to live in Aptos right on the beach, and as much as I disliked Northern California, it was beautiful there. I once drove out to the middle of nowhere to meet a friend at a Grateful Dead concert. It was up in the woods...I can't remember the name right now. But it was like Woodstock revisited. My God. I never did find my friend, but the people were so entertaining that it wasn't a problem.

10:15 AM  
Blogger woof nanny said...

PS: if you love Northern Cal, I apologize for dising it. To put it in perspective, I worked in San Jose. Nuff said.

10:16 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

okay, first of all-- your hamlet (and I love that you live someplace than can even be called a hamlet) sounds so dreamy, I could just cry.

secondly, your photos are delicious. the one that makes me really (truly) swoon though: the 'everybody polka' one. that one makes me want to stop everything I'm doing right this very minute and build my little TTV device already (because I haven't yet, you know).

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah... such a good life in Northern California! My Beloved and I are planning to move up there within the next couple of years, and have yet to really pick exactly where. Frisco, Berkeley... I need the coast, its a requirement for me, he's more flexible and has consider Walnut Creek... it probably doesn't matter, as its all wonderful no?

12:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home