Friday, September 29, 2006

photo booth friday - birthday boy.

I present this picture for Photobooth Friday to wrap up PickleBoy Birthday Week.

Twelve years and three days ago the sun went down on the day this baby was predicted to come. I just fell apart. A late baby? Not me, pleeease not me. We lived in Melbourne, Australia at the time and we awoke the next day to a transit strike. We had no car - there were no trains - there were no buses. The taxis that remained were impossible to get. And the soon -to-be PickleBoy's dad left for work. Then at 11:00 am I felt the undeniable and electrical 'ping' that meant this contraction is different. I made my phone calls - first the husband, then a message to the midwife, then the dear friends who had convinced us to have the baby at their home in their big oval tub. I went through the first hour of labor alone and in a slightly controlled panic. He had no way to get home - this baby who we had tentatively named Tallulah - completely convinced he was a 'she' - was coming fast.

And then everything fell into place. One of the then-husband's accounts dropped in unexpectedly at his work and offered him a ride home, my midwife checked her messages and raced our way, then the three of us had a precarious contraction-filled ride to our final destination. The tub was filling as we entered, my water broke and I got into that much bigger and beautiful body of water and got to the hardest work my body will ever do. Then at 3:38pm this baby came up into the world and changed my life forever. Lucky, hardworking me with a four and a half hour labor from start to finish. From full dialation to birth in 12 minutes and then 'she' was here. In my undrugged stupor I said "but she has a penis"! He was Baby X for a week since we hadn't even considered boy names.
He became Riley.
He became my greatest joy.
And as my dear friend Beth said yesterday, "This world is a far better place because he is in it."



___________
Also, I entered this photo to JPG magazine for their 'self portrait' issue. If you like it could you throw a vote my way by October 7th? It is another of my 'through the viewfinder' shots.
Thanks and have a great weekend!

9 Comments:

Blogger Allison said...

what a beautiful account of such a special event and person - thank you for sharing! best wishes for a happy birthday!

11:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Give that beautiful creature a big happy birthday kiss from me and the girls!!! And congratulations to you MAMA, wonderful people don't just grow on the side of the freeway. Much love. P.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

just perfect... wow what an amazing birth story-

10:55 AM  
Blogger angela said...

i love birth stories, they are all so special.
he's beautiful and so are you.
you've got my vote for the photo:)

5:55 PM  
Blogger kristen said...

There is nothing I like better than a birth story, nothing. Your pickle boy is delightful and reading your blog here LeS makes me happy and smiley. Happy belated birthday to the cutest pickle boy I've ever seen!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Vanessa/NessieNoodle said...

PS
yep got the JPG inspiration from you- you got my vote over there (I love the work you are doing with your fancy camera tricks!)
Thanks for the props~

4:08 PM  
Blogger nina beana said...

what a sweet boy, and a sweet story.

3:45 AM  
Blogger Diz Rivera said...

I love a good birth story. Awesomely told.

6:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

He's a natural in a photobooth that much is obvious! And the story of his welcome into the world, just wonderful!

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home