Monday, August 07, 2006

Music Monday #12 - Austin, part 3 (the last).



Artist of the Week
The K-Tel Hit Machine

Album of the Week
They don't have one. But they should.

Song and Lyric of the Week
let's go with...
Don't Bring Me Down by ELO
"You got me runnin' goin' out of my mind,
You got me thinkin' that I'm wastin' my time.
Don't bring me down,no no no no no, OH-oo-hoo.
I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don't bring me down.

You wanna stay out with your fancy friends.
I'm tellin' you it's go to be the end,
Don't bring me down,no no no no no no no no, OH-oo-hoo.
I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don't bring me down.

Don't bring me down, Brruuuce.
Don't bring me down, Brruuuce.
Don't bring me down, Brruuuce.
Don't bring me down.

What happened to the girl I used to know,
You let your mind out somewhere down the road,
Don't bring me down,no no no no no, OH-oo-hoo.
I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don't bring me down.

You're always talkin' 'bout your crazy nights,
One of these days you're gonna get it right.
Don't bring me down,no no no no no, OH-oo-hoo.
I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don't bring me down.

Don't bring me down,Brruuuce.
Don't bring me down,Brruuuce.
Don't bring me down,Brruuuce.
Don't bring me down.

You're lookin' good just like a snake in the grass,
One of these days you're gonna break your glass.
Don't bring me down,no no no no no no no no, OH-oo-hoo.
I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don't bring me down.

You got me shakin' got me runnin' away
You get me crawlin' up to you everyday,
Don't bring me down,no no no no no, OH-oo-hoo.
I'll tell you once more before I get off the floor
Don't bring me down."

Music Story of the Week
Rebecca and I had one big night out while I was in town. Her awesome husband, Matt, volunteered to stay with the kidlets, and a girls night it became.
Please, people, if you get a chance to see this band - take it. As you may be able to tell from their name and the cover song I chose the lyrics for above, this was a night of singing,dancing and hilarity extraordinaire. They are not just any cover band - oh no - but a group of established musicians that
"plays AM gold from the 1970's, mixed with a few edgy album rock favorites from the 80's...they steer virtually clear of typical rock and dance standards driven into the ground by radio and karaoke, and breathe new life into old hits that made you smirk back then and make you howl today. If Jack Black and Jimmy Fallon formed a cover band, this would be it."
Need I say more? And look at that Benjamin Hotchkiss (the British male lead singer)? Cute, cute, cute.
________________________________________________

A few nights later we went for pizza at the ever hip 'Home Slice'...

...and guess who walks in and sits down right across from us? Benjamin himself just because that is how my life tends to work sometimes :) Capital F-U-N.

To wrap things up we hit the Ever-Touristy-But-Who-Really-Cares-Because-It-Is-AWESOME Barton Springs...



...and watched the world's largest urban bat colony swirl out into the Texas sky on our very last night...


Believe it or not, I have left out a TON of details - Blanton Museum, Progress Coffee, Book People, private viewing of Andrew Long's work, the bead store, Whole Foods MEGAstore & headquarters, yummy shrimp boil dinner with ice cold Session beer - mostly just because it is time to get back in the groove with my life back at home.

Thank you for bearing with my verbosity as it relates to this one trip but thank you especially to my friends in Austin for making this such a memorable week of my life.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you ever thought about becoming a writer? How about journalism school? I am not joking. You have so many tlents. How about putting them all together ( writing, photography, knitting, music,) and write a book, or publish something> Take classes. Follow your dreams!

3:35 PM  
Blogger angela said...

!!!!whaaaaat???? he just plopped down? the lead?!?, on your girl's night out??? that is the BEST...wowwie,wow,wow, so when are you coming east?
i loved reading all your fun austin bits, glad you had fun :)

(blogger is going funny on me tonight, if this posts twice, i am sorry)

6:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Honey,
I can't wait to hear all the left out details and more in general. I'm so glad your holiday was all that...it sounds lovely perfect.
I missed you and PB and am glad you're back.
BW

7:07 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home